Tuesday, 27 November 2007

Hello And About Me, Well Us Really

I'm a 30 year old widower, who cares for a soon-to-be 3 year old boy, Max. We live in lovely little village in Staffordshire and will soon be starting our own house build project.


After my amazing wife died, I quit my job as a company executive (general manager for a £15Million turnover business), to care for my young son full-time. Max was only 7 months old when Samantha, his mother, died.


As I'd had a half-decent job there was a few quid in the bank, which meant there wasn't an immeadiate pressure for me to return to work, cutting cloth according of course.


In the aftermath of our perfect life obliteration I did think about what I might do in the longer term. However difficult it was to comtemplate life on our own, it was time to find an existance for myself, that would couple with single parenting, but also give me something other than Max to get up for in the morning.


I started going through my lifelong ambitions, helicopter pilot was quickly ruled out when Max got very disturbed at the sight of his daddy in a chopper. That and the vast sums involved to effectively only qualify as a part-time pilot.


Another burning ambition had been to write. In fact before Samantha had died, she'd made me promise that I must follow this dream, if only by doing a distance learning course or writing short stories for our child.


So I took a course from the London School of Journalism, which as well as giving me an idea of how freelance writing might work, it gave me a worthwile distraction from other tasks in hand.


Anyway, time has gone on, Max is virtually 3, has been building up to his funded sessions at nursery, and I've had more time to write. I feel I've already had some great successes. I've written for Practical Parenting, Oneup Magazine, Justdads.co.uk, BBC, Walsall Observer and Walsall Football Club.


This blog will detail our day-to-day growth, comment on relevant research, discuss related news topics and hopefully have a very enjoyable tone.


I hope you enjoy reading it. Please come back, feel free to comment and get in touch with anything interesting.
Share/Save/Bookmark

25 comments:

Violet said...

Hi there. I found your blog via Mumsnet. Have to say I've really enjoyed your posts so far and only wish I could write so well.

Single Parent Dad said...

Why thank you Violet. Always great to receive nice comments like that. Keep coming back!

hotrodfil said...

When I lost Kate - my best friend, lover, mother of our two - I found writing about it made some kind of sense. Hope it all works out for you. I really do.

Single Parent Dad said...

Thank you.

I'm glad that you are finding writing a good outlet. Keep up the good work.

rhosie said...

you have a very wonderful blog site... and max is really awesome child... Hope God will bless you both always...

Single Parent Dad said...

Thank you Rhosie.

He really is, and I too hope the big man does take the time to keep us on a happy path.

rhosie said...

hi.... i know being a single parent dad is not an easy task but seeing your son i can imagine how rewarding it to you...He is truly a blessing that God sent to you...

Rachel said...

followed your link from alpha mummy

refreshing to read things from a dad's/male point of view

hope all is going well with your son and your writing

Single Parent Dad said...

Hi Rachel,

Thanks for your comment.

All is good thank you.

I've had a quick butchers at your Little Miss Rachel blog, looks very good, I will have to keep popping back.

Anonymous said...

Hi there
I have to say this is a fantastic read & I am sure your late wife most be smiling down with such safe knowledge that you have not only been a brilliant father but also followed your dream whilst doing so.
Do carry it on, it's lovely to see a daddy so commited to his child.
All the best for a happy healthy future to you and little man

many kisses
Aly xxxx

alyfromspain@hotmail.com

Single Parent Dad said...

Thanks Aly for your lovely comment.

I do hope to keep this going, regardless of whatever else life throws up. I hope you come back and continue to enjoy reading the blog.

Tismee2 said...

I came all the way back to find out what circumstances got you here. Life can be very cruel but I believe that bad things make us strong and guide us in new directions, if nothing else, Samantha got you to follow your dream and be a wonderful dad to Max.

You write a lovely blog - you can tell it's from the heart.

Single Parent Dad said...

Thank you tismee2.

I always like getting nice comments like that. I'm sure my late wife would be delighted to know that she inspired me even in death.

What a woman.

amanda said...

Hello. I found your blog via matt logelin. i've ready a few and will continue to read your posts.

we do have at least one thing in common : i will have my journalism degree may '09!

i hope you have a great day and can't wait for the next blog!

www.margaritasandmemories.com

Single Parent Dad said...

Hi Amanda, I'm glad you found our blog. Good luck with your degree and I hope you stick with us.

eb said...

just now beginning to crawl out of my shell after one and a half years of shutting down after my wife died. trying to find blogs and forums of other men who have gone through the same. thanks for blogging and i look forward to hopefully taking away something useful.

Single Parent Dad said...

Welcome Eb, and thanks for your kind comments. I hope you do get something from this blog.

Susan said...

Ian, I'm glad we've connected and thanks for sharing your story with us. I'm looking forward to reading more!

Susan

PS. What a terrific photo of you and Max!

Single Parent Dad said...

Susan, as am I. Thank you for popping back to my blog. I do hope you enjoy reading more.

P.S. I like that picture too!

KristinRanae said...

Wow! Your blog has touched my heart! What an amazing father that you are. Keep up the good work!

Single Parent Dad said...

Kristinranae - Thanks for finding this blog and your lovely comment. I hope you hang around.

New Mum, Same Old Me said...

I have discovered your blog via the carnival and it's so nice to read a dad's point of view and it has inspired me to have a go myself...

Max looks like such a star, I am looking forward to reading more about your adventures.

Single Parent Dad said...

New Mum, Same Old Me - Glad you found me, I hope that you stick around.

WiseGuy said...

Surfed through to your blog through another...and I am glad that I did.

Max is a charmer...

Lorraine said...

Very new to this blogging lark,and have found yours to be moving, entertaining and informative...really enjoyable read, hope you and your little boy are well and flourishing.

Post a Comment