Wednesday, 5 December 2007

To Pee or Not to Pee?

Fingers, and legs for that matter, crossed. We have a cunning plan. Max’s first nursery session of the week was today (Wednesday). And after the toilet failings there last week, I decided that we needed a different tact.

I can’t praise the nursery staff enough, they have not asked for nappies to be re-applied or for me to accompany Max for a session at nursery. This means that they are either very sound child care staff, or they have shares in 1001 carpet cleaner. My trust is in the former.

Having been sold the virtues of reward rather than reprimand, it’s an approach that’s been liberally applied in Max’s upbringing. There’s no formal reward chart and no specific ongoing targets for us to achieve. But believe me, I have a carrot at the end of my stick.

A new system of stickers on the toilet door at home, has appeared to have motivated Max enough to regulary use the toilet, which then grants him the necessary authority to apply a sticker to the growing number on the door.

Shortly after our parent-carer chat this morning, the nursery thought it prudent to also adopt this approach. So right now, in trap one at the nursery, is a picture with Max’s name above. The good news is that it had three stickers on it when I went to collect him earlier. Now I’m not sure if they’re doing arithmetic yet, but in my book, and on Max’s wall; 3 Stickers = 3 Pees.

Now the real test is tomorrow, as he is there for a full day and they have more children on the full days. He’s adamant that he will continue to perform in the stalls, but alas, the proof will be in, well, the toilet or his trousers! Share/Save/Bookmark

6 comments:

Pillock said...

They sound like an excellent Nursery, it's really good that they want to follow on from what you do at home, just drop him off and enjoy not being the one to clear up!

amy_b42 said...

Hello,

Just a thank you from One Parent Families|Gingerbread for the link to our site. We are reading your blog with interest and it would be great if you wouold like to get invoved with our charity further so do get in touch if you would like to on info@oneparentfamilies.org.uk

Good Luck with the potty training!
Amy

ladymakk said...

Love the sticker tactic. Is it still working at home and nursery?
When do you stop using the stickers though? Have visions of a twenty year old saying 'I've been to toilet, can I have my sticker'. Only teasing.
I'm all for using bribery.
Deborah

Single Parent Dad said...

Who's to say there isn't a 30 year old rewarding himself stickers for successful trips to the toilet?!! It's all for Max's benefit, honest.

Still hit and miss. Nursery went perfectly, but has had a couple of accidents at his Grandparents. Guess it's just a matter of breaking the norm in all his usual environments.

Thanks for the comment. Please keep visiting.

Single Parent Dad said...

Hi Pillock (How rude do I sound!)

Thanks for the comment, apologies for not responding sooner, but I've only just be enlightened to your comments existence.

I certainly have a lot of time for the nursery, and Max 'performed' perfectly there last week. Still having the odd accident at home, but I'm sure we'll get there.

Single Parent Dad said...

Hi Amy_b42,

Thanks for the comment, and I hope you continue to enjoy reading this blog. Will be in touch to see how else I may be able to get involved.

Apologies for not responding sooner, please see my comment above.

Post a Comment