Tuesday, 5 February 2008

Hand It Over Son, I'll Get Rid Of That Nasty Thing

I was drawn to a news story of toddlers being included in a campaign by the Food Standards Agency to reduce EVERYONE’S saturated fat intake.

The FSA is concerned that the average saturated fat intake of us Brits, is too high, and as such we should all be looking to reduce it.

It's not all down to the individual though, and they are working with people in the food industry to bring saturated fat levels down in foods generally.

They are still advising everyone to look at changing diet to reduce bad-fat intake.

The information and advice has been deemed ‘quite sensible’ by the nutritionist expert quizzed in this story, but is has also been asserted that there is no hard evidence to back up these suggestions - when talking about toddlers specifically.

I’m confused, not difficult I admit, but I’m again flummoxed by this information and campaign.

As a parent that is trying to ensure my child has a balance diet, and in that, I mean, he doesn’t have too much of anything, but not really excluding too much either. The aim being to have a child that while he has a balanced diet, is also relatively easy to fill, in any given environment or set of circumstances.

I know a few parents that have taken healthy eating too far, which means it can be difficult to feed their children at times, and also when they are introduced to the ugly but sweet food groups they gorge like Homer Simpson at doughnut time.

That said, I think it’s a better situation to be in than if your children knows who Ronald McDonald is and what the latest offer is at Unlucky Fried Kitten.

I still think I can be a little ignorant of what is in certain things, and the potential damage it can do. The advice is so confusing, and, I’ve found, that often the people charged with giving advice do not know anymore than those asking.

I can remember going for an umpteen month check with Max, armed with a few queries I’d clocked up - the main one concerned milk. At the time I was concerned that Max wasn’t getting enough iron, as he was reluctant to chew anything that was rich in it.

My idea was to keep giving him formula milk, until he consumed more iron in his food.

The health visitor gave me the standard ‘I’ve never been asked that before’ look, before saying “I’ve never been asked that before.”

In fairness we then went through Max’s diet, she commented on how varied she though Max’s diet was, and that I should just carry on with what I was doing.

Alarmingly, she did also mention, that in certain circumstances, they’d even advised parents to continue to feed their children from the more dangerous food groups, if, and I quote, that is all they can get them to eat.

I wish the FSA every success with everybody.

However, I will maintain a state of busy confusion and hope to keep the location of my sweet stash a secret, for the sake of my child, and in a wider context, the nation. Share/Save/Bookmark