Wednesday, 23 July 2008

Genius At Work

School, or more specifically in my case, nursery holidays, are an absolute blast.

We are trying to stick to the normal daily routine as much as possible, same bed time, bath routine, diet, carrot and stick parenting.

Thing is, add to that finding a multitude of things to do and people to do them with, without breaking our very delicate bank, makes for a very difficult puzzle.

Since the move Max has been, and is still on, catch up.

I think he needs a solid summer of great days out and great nights sleep to get his body clock well and truly serviced.

This first week of the summer break has been fit for purpose thus far.

We’ve been out with some of Max’s friends from nursery and there are more activities scheduled.

A family birthday rocked the routine boat a little last night. We were out till well after bed-time, and it meant Max needed a bath this morning prior to our really nice day out with a friend from nursery.

But, as Max was later into bed, it doesn’t take a genius to work out he needed more time in his pit this morning, however I needed to magic some more time to add bathing to the morning to-do list.

I really needed a proper genius at this point, and, as usual, I got one.

“Daddy, just press your watch and change into Four-Arms.”

And just like the fictional Ben Tennyson, I pressed my watch, but alas the second pair of hands did not materialise. Share/Save/Bookmark


Kori said...

Oh, wouldn't it be great if it were really that easy! Best of luck to BOTH of you on getting into a routine that works over the summer; we love it, of course, but it does tend to make everything go a little wonky for awhile. That, plus the move, no woder he is out of sorts some.

Single Parent Dad said...

Kori - Life through the eyes of a three and a half year old truly only has opportunities!

Tismee2 said...

We could never get away with routines, something always came along to mess it up. We are more a go with the flow kind of family - so good luck!

Single Parent Dad said...

Tismee - I wouldn't set your watch by us, but there is definitely a default position if we CAN stick to it.

Xbox4NappyRash said...

I'm seriously impressed that you can even remember things like routines during holidays, I'd be running around like an idiot.

Penelope said...

I'm such a routine-a-holic usually, but I do love the summer holidays when we can let it all hang out a bit.
Kids thrive on routine for sure, but I also think they quite like letting it go, just for a little while. There's a lot to be said for going with the flow. No one gives you a black mark for a morning bath instead of a nightime bath ;o)

Single Parent Dad said...

Xbox - I'm just an idiot with a watch ;-)

Penelope - I concur. Morning baths are a must after later nights.

The Dotterel & Shornsheep - Thanks for your comments, sadly I've no idea where they went!

Xbox4NappyRash said...

thats funny, I don't wear a watch!

that's the key!

Post a Comment