Wednesday, 16 July 2008


Well, we’ve got the internet on. Which is no mean feat, I tell you.

The plumbing also works, albeit at the hopefully temporary expense of a few holes in the ceiling.

I’ve got a lot of respect for tradesmen, or women, mainly because I can’t really build, mend or modify much with my hands.

That said, my plumber appears unable to plumb, thus that respect has long gone.

Still, he thinks I’m giving him a hard time now, but I await his reaction to my actions once I’m happy the system is running without fault.

The dodgy plumbing hasn't hindered my child settling nicely into his new home.

It has surprised me how unsettled he got. But then it is a great deal to take in.

The building site, the place we’ve visited almost daily for over six months, suddenly became home, even though in part it still looks akin to a building site.

Then it’s getting used to the new surroundings, new bedroom, new bathroom, garden and then there is the routine. Where we eat our meals, brush our teeth and where our clothes are kept.

Max and I had the eat-at-the-table-please row, in our first week here.

In our rented place, we only had one table, and at times it was in use for other things like paperwork, toy sets and being a general dumping ground.

This meant, at times, we would eat from a tray or use Max’s little table in front of the TV.

Here it is different.

We have the room to dedicate a table for eating. Thus, we do.

I had to put my foot down to make sure that child got this.

And he certainly did.

At Friday tea time, we had the grandparents with us, and also the plumber.

I was trying to put the plumber, and plumbing, right, which meant I didn’t make the table for 5.30, even though I managed to get stuff onto it for everyone else.

Then it came, the tap on the shoulder.

“Daddy, daddy,” I heard in a familiar angelic voice.

“Are you OK son? Do you need a drink?” I turned to enquire.

“No Daddy, it’s tea-time, and YOU'RE not at the table.”

He’s got it, the little smart-arse. Share/Save/Bookmark


Xbox4NappyRash said...

A huge shift for him I'm sure, but he'll also adapt so fast.

He nailed the tea-time rule fairly swiftly anyway...

Single Parent Dad said...

Cheers Xbox. I think he is doing. Though I do type that as he's asleep in my bed, because 'it's warmer than mine daddy'.

Dan said...

Makings of a lawyer there by the looks of it.

Wether that's a good or bad thing is down to your perspective I suppose.

Congratulations on the move

Kori said...

I am willing to bed that within the month, he will feel like this has always been his home. I shudder to think of trying to get my two year old to eat at the table, for similar reasons-small two bedroom house, four children, one adult=dinner on the couch more times than not!

shornsheep said...

Hi, my first comment on your blog. Found my way over here from Xbox's page.

Kids are very adaptable especially at his age. They are also very onto it. I swear mine have been here before.

All the very best to you both in your new home. Looks to me you are doing an awesome job there with your wee boy.

Penelope said...

Congrats on the move and getting interwebbed up again!
I wanted to email you something but couldn't find an address on your blog - am I being blonde? Could you email me at itsmepenelope (at) gmail (dot) com when you have a second? (Which I'm sure you don't have many of lately!)

The Dotterel said...

They're very good at turning the tables, given half a chance! Congrats on getting sorted (slowly) in the new gaff.

Single Parent Dad said...

Dan - Could save me a few quid if he goes down that route.

Kori - I think your money would be safe too.

Shornsheep - Welcome, and thank you for your comments.

Penelope - Thanks for your wishes. It's a bit convoluted but you can find my e-mail address on my personal website, from my blog links. I'll email you to save you the bother!

Dotterel - Thanks for your congrats, and did you mean the table pun? Top stuff!

Tismee2 said...

Sorry, but it's made me chuckle. My two always make a point of telling me when I am doing something wrong.
I have a smiley for you on my blog.

Single Parent Dad said...

Tismee2 - Thanks for the comment, and for the smiley. Very cute.

The Dotterel said...

Far too clever for me (the pun)! But seriously, it's award time at Charlie Towers. Do pop across to take a look and collect you - well-deserved - gong!

Post a Comment