Monday, 4 August 2008

Is Max In?


I love living here.

The house.

The village.

The people.

They are all brilliant.

The most important thing though is that we are being made very welcome, and Max is making friends with children outside of the nursery and the school.

Many of the families we have come across have been surprisingly welcoming and accepting of our non-traditional family unit.

After all, in this sort of environment our situation is even rarer than it is in more urban areas, from my experience.

It was one of my great hopes that this would happen.

My experiences of living in a town were very different.

People seemed to be very suspicious of a man with a child, and rather than satisfying their suspicion with a polite enquiry, they would instead ignore me and, most likely, come up with their own more interesting conclusions.

Here folks are more interested, and prepared to ask. I think what I’ve just typed is polite for nosey, but it suits me.

I’d rather people asked questions, and if there is something that is bugging them or it would make them more comfortable to know more about us, I’m happy to wax lyrical.

It means we’ve made more friends, and the parents seem to trust me, and don’t mind our company.

We’ve been out on a couple of day trips with kids and their mothers from the village, we’ve had visitors here, some kids have been left for me to supervise, which actually means a lot to me.

Max has been to others to play and for lunch, and tomorrow he’s out on a trip with two of his nursery chums, their older siblings and both the boys’ mothers.

He’s expectantly excited, but so am I.

Not because I get some time to myself, I haven’t really, the darling plumber is due back to do his snagging, and I’ve got plenty of other chores to be getting on with.

I’m excited because he’s excited, and it is further proof that I’m not raising a little monster.

When people offer to take your child out with theirs, with no obvious reciprocal agreement in the air, to me it is a great compliment.

I hope, as my son does, that tomorrow’s trip is the first of many.
Share/Save/Bookmark

8 comments:

Kori said...

I think this is such a great piece, and one of the true benifts of living in a village. I like the whole nosy part-when it is used correctly, it can be such a liberating thing!

Tismee2 said...

I am so pleased for you. I grew up in villages and yes they are being nosey, but usually in a kind way. Of course you would have been the talk of the town when you first arrived LOL!

It must be wonderful to see Max with his new friends and you with yours. You deserve something good in your life.

Single Parent Dad said...

Kori - Thanks for that, I agree. Sometimes it's the only way to get the truth out there, or at least the untruth that you make yourself ;-)

Tismee - It is wonderful seeing Max with his new chums, and I hope their friendships blossom over the coming years.

Single Mom Seeking said...

Just found you through Matt... and I'm so glad I did. I've been on my own as a single mom for 8 years now. I love how positive your blog is! Big hug.

Single Parent Dad said...

Welcome Single Mom Seeking, I'm glad you found us, and you like the blog. Positivity is my middle name, well, it isn't really, but you get my point.

Xbox4NappyRash said...

I find it fascinating to see young kids like that interact, make friends and buddies.

They can barely talk, yet are doing what adults often shy away from with ease.

Single Parent Dad said...

I agree Xbox, can't remember the last time I uttered shall we be friends?, and I'd take it as fair bet that I won't be saying it again.

Single Parent Dad said...

Thanks Single Mom Seeking. And now I have another great blog to read.

Post a Comment