Sunday, 12 October 2008

Don't Give Me None Of That Jibba Jabba

I don’t like incompetence. I do like The A-Team.

That much is clear.

Incompetence is especially frustrating when it makes you look like an idiot and worse still, a liar.

A few weeks ago I took Max for his almost mandatory inoculations.

He was an absolute star; the nurses were pretty good too. And daddy armed with a bagful of praise, and a Ben 10 chocolate lollypop, even turned out to be useful, and actively contributed to a successful jabbing team.

It is never an easy thing to do, taking your kid for an injection.

Necessary evil, if you like, or not, as the case may be.

My late wife wasn’t a big fan, so it is something I’ve been doing since Max was born.

That responsibility started minutes after his birth when I had to hold him for his first jab. I didn’t even know that vitamins went up to the letter K.

I thought after the last set, bar emergency treatment, I’d done my duty – his next booster is due at school - but I was wrong misguided.

The doctors’ surgery called to say that there had been a problem with the batch of medicines that had been injected into my nearest-and-dearest.

Short-term panic attack, and the obligatory glib response.

“He’s OK? He’s going to be OK?”

And then I realised he was holding my other hand on a stroll to the park, obviously in no short-term danger.

Panic over.

“He’s fine. The supplier has notified us that those particular shots did not have all the strains they should have done,” the clever medical person informed me.

My then response was one of mixed intrigue and anger.

How did it happen? How did they detect it now? Nice traceability?

She wasn’t interested in any of these questions, or giving reasonable answers.

It was more important to her to get my son booked in for another shot, of the stuff that was missing last time. So much so I felt hurried.

Hold on, having trusted you to inject my child with your serum let me first digest the information, and mistake, you are telling me about, then you will get my full co-operation.

After all, the most important thing is that Junior’s immune system is topped up fully.

It wasn’t a pleasant telephone call, and I made damn sure that it wasn’t a walk-in-the-park for the lady that had made it as well.

I’m more annoyed that I’ve unwittingly lied to my son, and this week he’ll have to go through this unpleasant experience again.

Trust to me is vital in parenting.

I always attempt to give my son the truth, even when he isn’t going to like it. At least then he can take what I say as gospel.

Trickery, while still useful, is not usually my method of choice.

My father suggested I tell him the doctor made a mistake, and didn’t give him enough medicine last time.

Which is somewhat correct, a good idea, and I think my new short-term strategy.

Men are brilliant when it comes to raising kids.

So, this week, instead of having his friend over for tea, we are trekking to the doctors to right this wrong.

My frustration and annoyance will be on display in the form of distain and question probing for all the medical staff, and probably most of the waiting room if there’s a good wind.

I know it is not directly anyone at the surgery’s fault, but I shall be letting my feelings known, if just to get these other feelings, albeit indirectly, off my chest. Share/Save/Bookmark


harassedmomsramblings said...

Gosh thats a little worrying ;(

Sorry you guys have to go thro it all again!!!

Ms. Single Mama said...

Scary! I waited until Ben was 18 months or so to give him his vaccinations. My dad, a doctor, was very, very against them. So even though he's not with us anymore I still respect his opinion. But, now he's all caught up and no harm done.

The shots aren't that bad - just try to keep your nerves about you, he'll pick up on your tension if you aren't totally calm. Good luck!

Crash Course Widow said...

Good god--I don't know what I'd do if I had to go through our most recent shot experience again. Or how I'd be able to convince Anna to sit through it again. Somehow I think it'd take a MUCH bigger bribe--a prime toy, for instance (dear god, I'm such a sellout, it seems)--rather than the chocolate milk and cookie I used to make up for the injustice the last time.

Good luck to you...and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I never, ever get a phone call like yours about Anna's shots. Yikes.


Xbox4NappyRash said...

That's a right pain.

But I say continue your honesty with him, it's was someone's mistake, and unfortunately you need to go again.

I'm cringing at how 'simple' I made that sound, but I couldn't agree more with your outlook on honesty with him.

The Grocer said...

I agree with xbox, honesty is the best policy unless its about Santa Claus.

Single Parent Dad said...

Harassedmom - I know. But I also find it quite ridiculous that they have found out a few weeks after.

Ms Single Mama - It is an important choice. But I think the government would like to see it made compulsory.

And I'm the king of calm. It is much harder for someone to argue with you if you remain calm.

CCW - Cheers Candice, I'm sure you won't and thanks for your best wishes.

Cool Xbox - Honesty is the best policy.

The Grocer - I'm hoping he'll be pragmatic enough to realise, that fat bloke couldn't do A chimney, let alone everyone's in one night ;-)

The Dotterel said...

A pain in the ass, in all possible senses! But honesty has always got to be the best policy; it'll be a useful lesson for him to learn that grown-ups get it badly wrong from time to time...

Eddie 2-Sox said...

Hmmm....yes, you lose a little trust with Max in the short term. Also, if the previous jab was not 100% it kinda lowers credibility for future jabs too.

You know you're doing the right thing looking after him though. And a bribe / Ben 10 comic papers over a lot of cracks right now.

God help us when they're 14....

You ARE doing a great job dude. Keep up the good work.

dbib01 said...

my 15 year old had to get shots when we moved to texas, and i swear she was almost a 15 year old drop out, never mind being motherless

Mama Nabi said...

That happened with my LN - promised her no shots but the pediatrician thought, since you're here, why not get it over with? But then, for some reason, my little one is not as afraid of needles as her mama. It might be the stickers. And the lollipop.

It's all right. These things happen. BLAME everything on the other guy.

Roads said...

That's a shame, Ian, and so soon after all the MMR fiasco in this country, as well.

Still, quickly done and soon forgotten, I hope. Meanwhile we're onto GCSE exams this year. Yikes! It doesn't get much easier. (Although it does, of course. It really does.)

Tismee2 said...

Oh dear - hopefully Ben 10 will come to the rescue once again!

I just made an appontment for my 15 year old to have his MMR top up - didn't know he had to but apparently so.

No lollipop for him though - just a 'get over it' look!

Single Parent Dad said...

The Dotterel - Yes, people are a constant disapointment.

Eddie - Thank you. In the end I don't think it did our relationship any harm at all. Probably bought us closer together.

Dbib01 - Blimey. And Welcome.

Mama Nabi - Thanks and did do.

Roads - Cheers for the comment, especially the stuff in brackets

Tismee - Spiderman candy sticks this time. You have to mix it up!

Post a Comment