Sunday, 19 October 2008

Embarrassing Dad

It was, and is, always inevitable that any parent doing their job properly will at times be an embarrassment for those they are parenting.

In my case I’ve managed it before my son’s fourth birthday.

Impressive in my book - out soon.

I really didn’t think it was possible, as I’m literally, maxed out of embarrassment due to the things I’ve got up to with my child.

For his enjoyment, amongst other activities, I’ve pranced around a basketball court complete with pink chiffon scarf, during a toddler and parent music session.

It doesn’t get more red-faced than that.

So I was really surprised that I was able to put that boot on the other foot.

We returned home last night, and our guests were already here, my sister had let herself in, and had taken control of the television.

I could make out they were watching Strictly Come Dancing, so without even thinking about it, and wary that Max was flagging a bit, I suggest we dance into the room.

A few years ago I would have never thought about or even contemplated doing such a thing, but see-above.

Max was a very reluctant dance partner.

When we got into the lounge, he turned around, demanded I stopped dancing, calling it ‘em-ba-wee-sing’ returning to the hall, and refusing to come back until I’d quit.

Quitting wasn’t problem, as I’m no Fred Astaire, more Flintstone.

But I was gob-smacked that I’d managed to embarrass him.

Our guests thought the whole affair was funny anyhow.

And then tonight, during bath-time I was despatched to get some plastic fish from downstairs, and on my return stair journey, inspired by Diana Vickers last night, I was singing ‘Man In The Mirror’ by Wacko Jacko.

When I got to the line ‘I’m asking him to change his ways’ I was interrupted – rather rudely I thought – by my bathing buoy (sic).

‘Well change then Daddy, and stop singing, or you can’t play with me!” the 3-going-on-30-year-old shouted.

I kid you not.

No one else could hear me; all our visitors were long gone.

He was being well harsh, and a little timid and self-conscious for my liking.

Oh well, I’ll get on with knocking that well and truly out of him. Share/Save/Bookmark

11 comments:

harassedmomsramblings said...

LOL thats rather amusing!!!

But yes it is rather surprising when they do it so young!

Sounds like fun though ;)

Vic said...

It's good that you've started the embarrasment early - think of how much practice you can get in by the time it really matters!

Mama Nabi said...

I thought this kind of stuff only happened when they are teenagers! Oh my.

I'm going to side with Max on this one - I think I'm still traumatized from all the embarrassment my parents caused. :-) No, no, of course I side with you. Embarrasing parents unite!

Xbox4NappyRash said...

It's part of the job description, isn't it?

Kori said...

I figure if I don't either make my kids cry or embarrass them at least once a day, I am not doing my job. Welcome to the ranks of parenthood!

Tismee2 said...

Oh yes, embarrass the kids as much as possible I say. It's one of the few ways we can get our own back for the huffy fits, strops and tantrums.

Apparently I embarrass my 15 year old by singing in the car.

I tell him it's MY car, MY music and I'll sing if I want to. If he doesn't like it he can walk!

However, you must have been VERY embarrassing for a 3 year old to cringe.

Single Parent Dad said...

Harassedmom - It was, fun, and made more-so because of his reaction

Vic - I know, I'll be an expert in no time.

Mama Nabi - I thought I'd lost you to the dark-side for one moment, please to know you are still with me!

Xbox - It sure is.

Kori - Thanks for the warm welcome.

Tismee - Indeed I was.

Roads said...

When Dad opens his mouth, my youngest just shouts S-h-a-d-d-a-p.

It works.

Mocha Dad said...

My seven year old doesn't want me to take her to her friend's birthday parties because she is afraid that I will embarrass her.

Dora said...

Well, he told you!

Hilarious!

So next time he has a meltdown in public you can whine, "Maaaaax, you're ‘em-ba-wee-sing’ me!" It won't help, but you might feel a little better.

Single Parent Dad said...

Roads - Brilliant, don't tell my little treasure.

Mocha Dad - But will she bring you back a goodie bag?

Dora - He sure did, and what a good idea.

Post a Comment