Monday, 24 November 2008

About Us Two, Two

I wrote an about us post when I first started this blog.

It served great purpose at the time, as it set out, in relatively short form, who we were and why we had arrived here, in cyberspace.

As with any sort of static post, it quickly becomes out of date. Pretty much like any shirt you buy with the date on. All those that bought Olympics merchandise this year will look like skinflints shortly.

So it has needed an update for sometime, but rather than doing that - I would like to keep the original for prosperity and to see how much my writing has changed since - I thought a whole new about us post would be better.

Sadly I am still a widower, and my own clock has ticked on a year, which makes me 31.

My son Max will be four very soon, and shall also be hosting his first ever proper birthday party.

Samantha, my wife and Max’s mommy, died in August 2005, which means we have been on our own for over three years.

If you would like to read more about this time in our lives a good place to start is here.

In that time, we have both done a lot of growing our hair, and we very much look forward to what tomorrow brings, and are thankful for what we have had, rather than dwell on what might have been.

It has been a time of great reflection for me, and a period of immense and rewarding learning. As I experience what it means to be a single parent to a wonderful and not-so-little boy. My mini-colossus.

We are building a new life, which has included physically building a new house, but has also been about finding a new existence, and career path.

Quickly after being widowed I decided I needed to find something that I enjoyed doing, rather than just doing a job to pay the bills.

This ‘something’ also had to fit around being at the school gate, because I though it vital for both my son and me, that we had each other and I did not want to rely on anyone else.

Writing is something I have pursued and will continue to do so, but due to my nature of wanting a regular steady income, and the fact that the market needs some persuading to give work to a novice amongst many more gifted scribers, I am also looking at other things to do part-time.

I am presently doing some child mentoring, on a voluntary basis. To see if it is something I would like to get paid to do, and if indeed, someone would actually like to pay me to do it.

Max will start school during September 2009, and this really is the cut off point I had budgeted to, before I really need to work properly again. Get the incomings at least matching the outgoings.

This blog has been good to me on several counts. It gets me writing regularly in some form, I have engaged some wonderful people, and learnt much that would have just passed me by.

I like to write about what influences us. How our little picture actually is part of the much bigger one.

My writing, much as my life, is done with a smile on its face, and hopefully with a bit of humour.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and what we get up to.

Your comments are always appreciated, and if you want to get in touch by email with anything, then my address is contactspd [at] gmail [dot] com



Roads said...

Great picture, Ian, and wonderful to see that you're both making progress.

Forwards. Just relentlessly forwards.
That works.

Mama Nabi said...

I don't think I've said this to you, mostly because I think it'd sound absolutely patronizing... but I'll just start with a disclaimer that it is the farthest thing from patronizing: You are an exemplary parent. No, not an exemplary "dad" but an exemplary parent. Take that for whatever it's worth... but every time I come to read a post, even if I don't always find time to comment or can come up with a comment that'd be worthy of your poignant posts, I always take away a parenting food for thought.

Thank you.

And a lovely picture of you two. You are wearing LN's and my favorite colors, btw. Oh, and "get a haircut, you hippies." :-) That last part is just a tease.

The Grocer said...

Nice to see those smiles aint changed (even if the hair has).

KristinRanae said...

I very much enjoy your blog...and your positive attitude. You "two" are an amazing family!

Snickollet said...

You are both unbearably adorable.

Thanks for sharing your journey with us.

Penelope said...

I just love that picture! You're both so beamy!
I can't for the life of me remember how I got here, but I am so happy to have found your bit of the web and I'm proud to be able to call you "My friend, Bollocks" ;o)

T said...

I love the photo!!

You're so amazing and put so much thought into what you allow into the lives of you and your son. Good for you for doing it with a smile on your face.

And thank you, as always, for the reminder not to take life so damn seriously.


Xbox4NappyRash said...

If nothing else, that's a great picture.

Zoeyjane said...

Good about. Great picture. You're one of the few daddy bloggers I really look forward to seeing in my reader, so keep up all the good works.

(Could this comment have been more awkward?)

Single Parent Dad said...

Roads - Thanks and it sure does.

Mama Nabi - I enjoy getting comments like yours. And get your own hair cut, it's our central heating for the winter ;-)

The Grocer - No smiles still the same.

KristinRanae - I'm glad you do, and hope you continue to do so.

Snickollet - We may be in picture, sometimes. I hope you continue to enjoy our journey.

Penelope - Beamy = Smiley? I'm glad we've found each other too!

T - Thanks for your kind words. I hope to continue my ethos.

Xbox - It sure is.

Zoeyjane - Thanks, and I feel warmed by the fact you enjoy me popping up in your reader. (And yes it could be, please try harder)

Violet said...

you look like the proverbial two peas.

Laura said...

I've just been blog surfing and stumbled upon the two of you. Glad I did. Will be keeping an eye on you both!

leopardspots said...

Just found your blog and love it! Can't wait to read more, you two are adorable.

Phil said...

Just a quick comment to say thanks for all your words. I always enjoy seeing one of your posts pop up in my reader. I look forward to more!

Single Parent Dad said...

Violet - Thanks for that.

Laura - Thanks for finding us and I hope you hang around.

Leopardspots - Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy reading.

Phil - Thanks, and I've no plans to stop anytime soon.

Part Mummy Part Me said...

Your story is really moving.

It's great that you are doing all you can to build a great life for you and your son. I'm so sorry for your loss, and so impressed by your positivity.

I write on a freelance basis which enables me to work from home and spend lots of time with my gorgeous girl (when it's my turn to have her!). I recommend it as a career path and wish you all the best.

Momma Fargo said...

You are amazing! I am sorry for your loss. Wish there were more great dads in the world like you. Good luck! Enjoyed reading your blog. And Max is wonder you are a proud dad.

Ann said...

I know i know.. this is a bit late.. (a bit??) uhm, well, way behind response but i couldn't help myself! You are an amazing person Ian.. I really respect people who raised their child without a partner.. Just looking at your photos with max made me teary eyed. You are great Ian, period. :)

cannwin said...

I'm finding it particularly humorous that you linked the word skinflint to the definition. Does that make me weird that I knew what it meant? My sister and I wanted to start a blog together recently and she kept laughing at the names I came up with saying that no one would understand what they meant. I guess I'm a true nerd.

Ian is a nice solid name... it's my sons name as well (which probably makes me a bit biased, but hey who cares)

Beau Lotus said...

You have a lovely boy who is fortunate in his misfortune - to have you for a dad.

I've always told myself that I must not die - because my kids are still so young. But if your late wife could see the both of you, I'm sure that she would rest in peace.

Bon courage.

Scott Quibly said...

'Sharing content?'

Hi there.

My name is Scott and I work with the parenting and technology site

At we make it our mission to produce engaging and interesting content featuring information universe of technology and parenting that will help inform and educate our community of parents. Our other key objective is to develop new connections with like-minded websites to ourselves –this is why I’m contacting you specifically as I believe your site to be exactly the kind of domain we’d like to be affiliated with.

We're really excited about a new piece of content we have recently produced and hosted on our site and I would like to offer you the opportunity to display the content on your site as well if you’d be interested? The content is currently live on the following page: it’s a fairly light hearted but interesting piece that is gathering good social signals. Our pages currently receive around 300 unique visits daily and we have a Domain Authority of 42 at present, which I believe is largely thanks to the quality of the content we are regularly producing.

If you believe this content may be of interest to share with your community of regular readers then I would be very happy for you to share it with them, there is an option to embed the infographic on your own site. I would expect that the piece would do very well for you in terms of page visits and overall impressions on your site. (Plus I would love for a site as quality as yours to be seen linking to content!)

If you have any questions regarding the content and my proposition please do not hesitate to get in touch.

Many thanks for your time!

Best Regards,

Scott Todd

Post a Comment