Wednesday, 10 December 2008

Cinco Questions

For one year’s summer months, way-back-when, I had a pretend friend. And I do not mean one in my imagination; I mean one I pretended to be friends with so I could enjoy the benefits that a genuine friend of this kid could expect.

He had an Atari ST computer, with a gazillion games and a family that enjoyed taking him and his ‘friends’ to the Banger Racing.

I quickly got the nick-name of The Spanish Inquisition within his household, granted by the fact that I asked so many questions.

Well what else do you do when you are bored senseless, apart from find out all the Atari's selling points, so I could get one installed at my own address and rid myself of this false friendship as quickly as possible?

I do like questions, asking and answering.

Interviews have always been enjoyable for me rather than stressful, except when the person at the other end is not paying attention is blissfully dull or totally unemployable.

When I saw Avitable’s Five Questions post I was intrigued.

There are a lot of tag-like post games around cyberspace, many I do not understand, or get onboard with.

But this one seemed a bit different as you are supposed to send a choice of questions to those interested.

Which Mr Avitable now has, and here they are, together with my responses. And a quick word of warning, there will be swearing.

1. Is it true that kids are babe magnets?

Depends how close you get them together. I mean there isn’t a womb magnetism I’ve discovered or anything like that. It is also true that I haven’t tested this theory enough. Babes do not tend to hang out at playgroups and Thomas Land. And if they did I would be a little freaked out by them anyway. I do hope to prove this true at some point. I mean the boy has got to have his uses, somewhere.

2. What's your greatest hope or dream for your child?

That he is happy. I know that is a bit simple, just like me, but surely is what we are all striving towards, and we choose goals that we think will give it to us. I hope that he accepts his mother’s death and holds a sense for what she did for him, over what he missed out on.

And if he can do all that while playing Baseball for The Padres while I manage his other affairs from the beach that would be OK too.

3. Will you be the first UK blogger to openly admit that Marmite tastes like shit?

The first? Surely not. But I can confirm it tastes like shit. It even looks like shit. They only need to add a different aroma and surely it would have to be re-branded. Shit-In-A-Jar.

4. As a single parent, do you get to pursue your own interests or do you find yourself completely consumed with your son?

I prioritise my son’s existence, as I did my wife’s while she was in this world. But I also believe that a child needs a happy parent, as a wife needs a happy husband etc. So when I’m doing my own thang, out at an away football match with the lads, enjoying a few pints perhaps, I reassure myself in the knowledge that I’m not just doing it for me.

Pursuing work interests without harming our family-life balance is hard, and will get harder, as at the moment what we are doing is not sustainable. Something will have to give. I’m hoping that when Junior goes to school full-time, it will allow me the time to get the incomings at least matching the outgoings, plus, in a pursuit that I enjoy, but I’m not convinced that this will be easily achievable.

5. What's your biggest pet peeve?

At the moment it is numpties on reality shows completely missing the point. How can you be devastated at finishing in the top ten of a nationally primetime televised singing contest, when the previous highlight in your life was skipping 5 minutes of your shelf-stacking shift. Give me an AK-47, a license to kill, and a decent vantage point in that television studio; I’ll give you devestation, just need to look for the similarly disadvantaged wearing badly produced t-shirts with their name on.

So, negativity in real positive situations I suppose.

Want to be part of it?

Follow these instructions:

1. Leave me a comment saying, "Interview me."

2. I will respond by emailing you five questions. I get to pick the questions.

3. You will update your blog with the answers to the questions.

4. You will include this explanation and an offer to interview someone else in the same post.

5. When others comment asking to be interviewed, you will ask them five questions.



You may need to drop me an email in truth, blogger is a shade inconsistent in picking up commentors email addresses. Emails to singleparentdad [at] bigfoot [dot] com. Please be patient, and I'll get back to you with my own questions.
Share/Save/Bookmark

15 comments:

Avitable said...

I should have asked a corollary question about the Marmite. Why do you eat it?

You can interview me if you'd like, but I'll answer in the comments. I know that you already have my email address.

Dan said...

I've done this a couple of times before, but always enjoyed it. So interview me!

I think you already have my address.

Single Parent Dad said...

Avitable - I don't, but I do each the odd Twiglit which some say mimic the taste, but I think that's bollocks.

I'll have a ponder on the questions

Dan - Cool, I've despatched an email to the account I have for you, let me know if you don't get it.

dadshouse said...

The part about the Artari is so funny. We used to play Pong at my friends house all the time (he was a real friend, not a pretend one. I never did the pretend friend thing.) He also had a pachinko machine, which was great fun.

So, marmite for stocking stuffers this year?

harassedmomsramblings said...

Ohh ohh pick me pick me!!

I am a sucker for a meme and this one looks really cool :)

Penelope said...

Ha1 Great answers! I'm with you, Marmite is devil's food ewwwwwwwww!
With great trepidation I'm going to opt in and say "pick me too please" ;o)

Mama Nabi said...

Are vegemites and marmites the same? I went to school with a whole bunch of people who did love the stuff. Um. No thanks. Nutella, on the other hand... mmm.

I won't sign up since you'll have your hands full with all the other quetions to prepare... but am open to any questions that are intriguing in themselves.

Tismee2 said...

I love Marmite! You can't beat it with Red Leicester on toast!

You can send me some questions if you have time - but nothing like how to do quadratic equations!

Not a soccer mom said...

wow I am falling in love with your site, your darling house and your kiddo- but not in a stocker kind of way.
I am a yank so I dont even know what marmite is. and I would love to play along but know that you do not know me in the least and so i would think it hard to make a list. I will continue to read and be inspired by your integrity as a single (Widowed) father.

Zoeyjane said...

I hate memes. But this intrigues me. Please interview me. I know you've got my address.

(and wtf IS marmite?)

Single Parent Dad said...

Dadshouse - Pachinko machine? We have an arcade table machine so I will have to keep my eyes peeled for pretend friends like the 12 year old me.

Harassedmom - OK.

Penelope - Cheers, but I'm sure yours will be better.

Mama Nabi - I don't know and have no plans to find out.

Tismee - Guess what one of your questions is going to be?

Not a soccer mom - Thanks for your lovely comment. Not knowing what marmite tastes like is a blessing.

Zoeyjane - I do, and I will. (You don't need to know, no one does)

Tismee2 said...

zoeyjane - It's a delicious tasting yeast extract.

and btw - how many of you who say it's disgusting have actually tasted it?

Wussies!

Avitable said...

I had a British roommate in college, and he would eat that shit all day long on his toast with his tea. I tried it a few times - it's utter shit.

Dan said...

I once sent an american some marmite to try. the results were very amusing.

http://allthatcomeswithit.com/archives/736

Kerrie said...

Hi Ian...

This sounds like fun, I have been reading the questions (some quite curly too) that you have set for others, even read the answers..!!

Soooo...

Interview Me...

My email addy is available on my blog profile page.

BTW...being Aussie I was a Vegemite Kid, but prefer Promite now, the rest of the family are Vegemite Kids still.

Post a Comment