Tuesday, 23 December 2008

Fourth Birthday, First Birthday Party

My regular un-frenzied and un-hurried state well and truly took a leave of absence 48 hours ago.

To such an extent that anxiety levels reached to a whole new level.

“Mom, I think I’m going to pass out.”

That was in the queue at Tesco, approximately 90 minutes before Max’s party guests were due to arrive

I did not actually feint, instead I went into a state of laughter, well, it was either that or tears.

It was my best option in a packed out supermarket.

As a one time logistics expert – did I really just type that? – I scheduled a rather plentiful amount of activities into the preceding few days, probably a little too much.

We were again out for Bombay potatoes on Friday night, which meant an overnight stay with friends 30 miles away. Saturday was action packed, we went along to a non-league football match, and then ten-pin bowling with friends from the village.

This only after I had dropped Junior off in the morning for a swim with his granddad. And it was at that point I realised I had not bought my son a birthday card for his fourth birthday.

I hate the whole buying cards rubbish, but fear that not buying my son one to signify his ageing would be a step too far, even for moi.

Sunday was also fairly brisk.

We had friends come down from sunny Yorkshire, whose visit involved going out for lunch, then some grazing and boozing at home.

I even had to wrap Max’s presents in their presence (he he), as I had left no other time to do it.

Not ideal preparation for my child’s first REAL birthday party.

But if I had left myself plenty of time I probably would have still got things done at the last minute.

Lazy so and so.

When you run life this way, in a way that leaves most to the final moment, and planning that concentrates on having the minimum of excess, passing out sometimes seems the best option.

I got out of the shower approximately 10 minutes prior to our first guests arrival, and as they knocked our front door, I stepped in from the back, and my last minute, or few seconds, garden inspection.

The party went superbly.

Ably assisted by my parents and in-laws, who were assigned pre-designated, and various opportune driven tasks.

My sister even arrived right on cue to wo-man the Ipod controls for pass-the-thing-layered-with-newspaper-and-sweets.

The children, all 22 of them, arrived in fancy dress and enjoyed everything that was organised and offered.

So much to write about – which may or may not come later - but the important thing.

That which really matters.

Max had a knockout time.

Even though by the end of it I felt knocked out.

That makes it all worthwhile.

Still at least I have plenty of time to recover and act out my Christmas planning.

What did you say?

Holy s……………………. Share/Save/Bookmark


Tismee2 said...

Congratulations! You did it! I know exactly how you feel because it's how we all feel after a day or two like that. Parties are sooooo tiring aren't they?

At least now you can relax a bit and recuperate in time for Christmas and 'ding ding' round two!

Zoeyjane said...

So, what you're saying is that you might need a little nap? Is it wrong that I;'m applauding you almost swearing?

T said...

Wow! I'm impressed! 22 kids and right before Christmas?!?

You're even more amazing than I thought before.

Take a breath.

Now enjoy your Christmas and Merry New Year!!

Single Parent Dad said...

Tismee - Exhausting. Both physically and emotionally. Today and tomorrow are all about the calm.

Zoeyjane - Of course it fluking isn't.

T - Moi? Amazing? I thinks not. I am breathing a little easier today.

Mama Nabi said...

Fantastic - well done! I've had moments where panic turns into hysterical laughter... fun, isn't it? :-) Sounds like grand times were had by all. Especially the most important guest of all. Kudos, SPD.

Part Mummy Part Me said...

Wow! You have bags of energy. I'm trying to do a Derren Brown-style suggestion that El has a 'grown up' celebration this year with one or two of her closest friends e.g. cinema, meal at Pizza Express.

It's not the party organising I mind so much but the horrific number of presents she gets when her whole class plus other non-school friends turn up bearing gifts. It's just too much!

I've got until July..I'll let you know if my ploy works.

Post a Comment