Friday, 20 March 2009

Because Shouting Would Drown This Stuff Out

Yesterday I wrote about dishing out discipline in public.

My original point, which was lost amongst many others generated from my RANDOMISER brain, was that I had witnessed parents - in my opinion - shouting at their children BECAUSE others were there to witness it, rather than because that was the appropriate choice of action for them.

In the comfort of our own living room this morning, my little smasher was doing his best to draw out an increased volume from me.

You know, that not-so-cute reluctance to getting dressed suitably, and at the appropriate time thing they do?

It is something of an ongoing works in our existence, to get my son to dress himself completely, including discarding removed clothes correctly, without assistance.

He is taking development of my lazy gene to a new level, not helped by my general tourette-like habit of taking over to ensure tasks are completed satisfactorily and within time.

Which is at what point we had a little disagreement this morning.

My patience had got to the taking-over-point, and after employing my come-over-here-I-need-to-whisper-something capture tactic, I hastily arranged my son’s outfit for the day, onto his person.

“I DON’T LIKE YOU.” He stated rather ear-splittingly.

“That’s lovely, can we go now?” I gently retorted.

“I want a hug first.” He stated on a much more reasonable level.

“But, I thought you didn’t like me?” I replied.

“Only when you put my clothes on.” He explained.

“Then why don’t you dress yourself?” I asked.

Without even stopping to think about it, he returned with;

“Because, then, I wouldn’t like myself.”

He has an hilarious answer to everything.

It really does pay to listen. Share/Save/Bookmark

15 comments:

Xbox4NappyRash said...

Just imagine him at 13....

Yikes!

Not a soccer mom said...

Just goes to show, we push each others buttons.

They hear us, speaking softly or brought to shouting..they hear. What a great example.

Dawn@Embracing the Ordinary Life said...

what a completely appropriate answer...lol.

Just sneaking over from Whiskey in my Sippy cup

Canadian Bald Guy said...

LOL...too funny.

But to be honest I'm not a big fan of dressing myself, either.

Bee and Rose said...

So many people miss these moments! My little Catherine always tries to yank my chain. I usually agree with her..."I'm running away" she'll holler at me. I just nod and say, "cool! Will you send me a postcard?" Then it turns it all around into a teachable and huggable moment.

What a wonderful post! The little people want to be heard too!

Shelle-BlokThoughts said...

K...nice wit for a little man! That was funny! :)

Mama Nabi said...

Well. Duh. Makes perfect sense. You do want your boy to like himself, no?

clairesmom said...

ugh. I hate the "try to get me dressed" game. It makes me feel bad for not getting up earlier in order to leave more time for it. I mean I have to allot forty five minutes just to dress her!

Kat said...

If you think he is bad I will totally lend you my 5 year old. OH MY GOODNESS. She would try the patience of a saint.

Twisted Serenity said...

LOL! Too cute! I'm a fan of hit witty-ness already!

Crystal Jigsaw said...

A wonderful answer!

Btw, how did you get that widget on your blog for Twitter? I have one on mine but I prefer yours!

CJ xx

Blogging Mama Andrea said...

They can certainly come up with some interesting perspectives!

Stopping by after reading your post on Hot Dads :)

rosiescribble said...

Your answer "That's lovely, can we go now?" seems perfect. I'll have to remember that one. My 5 year old is incapable of dressing herself and can't even manage to pull on a t-shirt, except at weekends we she can manage it all by herself perfectly. Enough said!

Thinking of you on Sunday. Hope your day goes well.

Reasons to be Cheerful 1,2,3 said...

Totally logical, as they annoyingly always are! Good luck with the Smart-One.

Single Parent Dad said...

Xbox - No thanks.

Not a soccer mom - Indeed they do.

Dawn - I know. Hope you sneak back soon.

Canadian Bald Guy - Don't dislike yourself for it though!

Bee and Rose - I love the turnaround.

Shelle-Blok Thoughts - Not sure he was trying.

Mama Nabi - He he.

Clairesmom - Not nearly enough time.

Kat - First you threaten your parents on me, and now this.

Twisted Serenity - I am too. Most days!

Crystal Jigsaw - No sure CJ. I'll have a dig and email if I remember.

Blogging Mama Andrea - Come back soon.

Rosie - Thanks. And I'm full of those little turnarounds.

Reasons to be Cheerful 1,2,3 - Difficult to argue with, totally.

Post a Comment