Sunday, 28 June 2009

Bolt Blu-ray Review

When I was asked by the Think Parents network if I would be willing to do reviews of Disney films in return for a Blu-ray player and some discs, it was not a question I answered quickly.

However when I looked at the prospective titles I could be getting, I was swayed a little closer to selling my soul answering in the affirmative.

Bolt was one that stuck out. One I thought the boy and I would enjoy. Admittedly based on advertising, and paying only a limited attention to such promotion at that.

Like with many things, I should pay more attention.

This film absolutely disappointed.

In fact it irritates.

Irritates me in any case, and the boy has, at best, not been keen.

Perhaps it is aimed at a market somewhere between our four and 30-something brackets, and I strongly suspect that to be true.

Hence a PG rating, and a few scenes that my son wanted to skip through.

The premise of the film, or overriding message, seems to be how film makers can be cruel, and that people, or indeed talking dogs, within the industry may not be treated with their well beings at the top of the thought process.

Irony I really have trouble swallowing, from a filmmaker.

Similarly I would not enjoy a House of Commons public service video on how to design and operate an expense system effectively.

Most of the characters got on my nerves too. Bolt seems intellectually challenged, and his agent, blimey, he most guilty of carrying the film’s message, delivers with an annoyance that Timmy Mallet would be proud of. His recurring gags were not funny the first time.

The Blu-ray format is again impressive. Animated films are simply better delivered in this derivative. However the player does seem to take an eternity to get started, compared to its supposed neanderthal DVD cousin. And it does not pick-up-where-you-left-off, as most DVD players seem to do if you knock them on and off.

How grumpy am I?

Well, I will be far less grumpy in July if I get sent a copy of Monsters Inc, possibly my favourite cartoon for children of the modern age.

Still love you Walt.



Liz@Violet Posy said...

They didn't give me a Blue Ray player ::pout:: I just got Bedtime Stories - pah. Shame Bolt wasn't that good. But just think of Monster's Inc on BlueRay, it'll be awesome!! :)

Canadian Bald Guy said... son, daughter, and I all loved Bolt and think it's one of the best Pixar movies yet. I thought it was different, well animated, well acted, and well told.

To each their own, I suppose.

Dan said...

I don't think Bolit is actually pixar is it? i could be wrong.

I'm planning on watching it tomorrow night. I've heard good things and bad things so I shall see.

Have a nice time watching that other one:)

LD2 said...

Hmm, that's good to know. I didn't catch that one yet.. I wasn't sure about it.

Although, I heard the voice over for the Hamster (?) was great...

erin said...

never heard of bolt.
I'm all about pooh bear's heffalump movie right now.

A Modern Mother said...

My girls loved it! Though I have to say I drifted in and out and didn't watch. Perhaps I should pay better attention?

Potty Mummy said...

We watched it yesterday. Will keep my powder dry for the moment though...

SciFi Dad said...

Huh. Unlike you, I was unimpressed by the previews, and had little inclination to see it.

Now, I have no inclination.

Momo Fali said...

I actually liked that movie. My daughter is 10 1/2, so I have a decade of kids' movies under my belt. Compared to some of the other ones I've had to suffer through, Bolt wasn't too bad.

Single Parent Dad said...

Liz - Oh yes. And it serves you right for all your 'I've got Sky' goading ;-)

Canadian Bald Guy - Indeed, glad you enjoyed it dude.

Dan - No it isn't Dan. I have delegated the other film to my mother.

LD2 - He is the best character.

Erin - Nice.

A Modern Mother - It could be a girl and her doggy thing. Paying attention is overrated.

Potty Mummy - Blimey, sleeping on it twice.

SciFi Dad - Disney love me.

Momo Fali - I can see its appeal to older girls, but I just couldn't suck up a movie company making a movie about people being treated badly by movie companies.

Xbox4NappyRash said...

Microsoft OWE me free stuff. Buggers.

Crystal Jigsaw said...

Amy's got Bolt and she seemed to enjoy it but I've not watched it. Thanks for the write-up.

CJ xx

rosiescribble said...

You'll be selling it on ebay then?

The Dotterel said...

Can we come round to watch Monsters Inc please?

Single Parent Dad said...

Xbox - How true.

CJ - Cool.

Rosie - I wouldn't do a thing like that.

The Dotterel - If Disney are still my friends after this glowing review, of course.

Jo Beaufoix said...

I actually really like this as did my girls so it was good to hear another view. I'll be blogging my review soon. I suppose we're just more into cute animals etc. Grumpy ar*e. ;D

Monsters Inc would be fantastic on Blu Ray though. When Miss E was little my mate thought she was just like the little girl in it. Except blonder.

Post a Comment