Tuesday, 30 June 2009

Karate Kid

It is all about the balance.

That of having enough of this-and-that in your diet, your daily routine, your life, your disciplining protocol, and all your general decision making.

There is also the ability to stand upright for a prolong period of time without falling over. Seems simple enough, but sometimes, for me – and the boy – it is a challenge.

I have an amazing ability to fall from a standing position, which also applies, sometimes disastrously, when I am in motion.

Clumsy, awkward and maladroit are words often used in association, OK, maladroit is not used all that often, but it could be.

These traits are things that I hoped, and still hope, my son would avoid. Where I would like him to be a little less like me.

My dreams have so far been unfulfilled, and Max is shaping up, literally by taking chunks out of himself, to be just like his daddy.

This is something I have pondered, and typed about before. Thinking this is perhaps something I can help him with, rather than just accept it.

Not thinking huge remedy is necessary, and accepting there is only a limited effect I can have on my boy’s physique and agility. However I think there may be activities that could assist in his early years.

A few people commented before about state of mind, and almost an unconscious acceptance of just ‘being called clumsy’, believing means that you actually just will be.

My thoughts are about preparation, cutting corners, and generally a lazy approach to everything. I can walk into things, fall over and break things easily at home, but if I was to do a Health and Safety investigation on myself, and all these incidents, I think the most common finding would be negligence, or lack of attention to detail. Rather than their being a material or system failure anywhere.

I could so be a HSE badass.

Sport would be the same, a lot of injuries I got could put down to cutting corners, turning too sharply, changing direction without accepting one’s limits, or simply not paying attention to the hard round thing making its way to my head.

I think this, as when I concentrate, things like catching a ball, not a feat normally associated with an all-thumbs-person, would could naturally to me.

Naturally, being totally the wrong word.

So my thought process has been stretched to include ways in which I could perhaps influence my lad’s ability to concentrate in his early years.

Gymnastics, dancing and trampoline classes are all activities to hit the grey matter appraisal zone, but as yet remain un-acted upon, and perhaps are nearing towards a definite no.

He has to enjoy these things, to not rebel against them, and for them to be worthwhile, and I am not convinced that he would these.

Then I got led down a martial arts path.

As it stands my son will start school in a small class dominated by boys, and some of the parents have been discussing this, and if there is any problems we perceive, or more so, any opportunities we could exploit for the good of the children.

One of the dads suggested Karate, he had been in a club himself as a child, and was highlighting its merits.

I have always just had it pegged as organised violence, and I have always preferred team sport activities rather than those for the individual.

But his argument, and clear enjoyment of learning Karate, was one I really listened to.

Balance is important, and practised, as is learning to control aggression, and to use skills learnt only in self-preservation.

So it could certainly tick, or kick, a few boxes.

It may also help the boys to regularly develop their relationships outside of school, and perhaps how they can help each other.

And as a community thing it may bring a little extra income to our village hall revenue.

This is very much a work in progress, and I do not think it will be under serious consideration until they physically start school at the very earliest.

But it is closer to getting the green light, than the chop.




Shabby Chick said...

I think karate is a great idea, will help with discipline and concentration as well. My daughter will be starting school at the same time, maybe I should consider something similar!

Potty Mummy said...

Boy #1 does judo; at his age it's more about running around and learning to obey direction from the teacher than anything else (I guess you could call it discipline), and we also figure that if he keeps it up (it's been nearly 2 years now) at some point it will start to be useful for self-defence. He wants to do karate as well, of course - what boy wouldn't - but am a little less keen as it seems more aggressive. Still, boys will be boys...

Liz@Violet Posy said...

DD is incredibly clumsy like me, and she started doing Tae Kwon Do in September. And I have to say when she falls over she's hurts herself less and rolling more!. She's really enjoying it and is strangely for a giant rebel liking the discipline and concentration it involves. All good :)

SciFi Dad said...

I have no first hand knowledge of karate, but I know my nephew is in it as an outlet for his overly gregarious nature... not that it works for that much.

Anonymous said...

I think karate is an excellent idea. I'm always tripping over myself and so is boyf...that or dropping things. It's a great idea to try and help your son and I think karate is an excellent sport. No harm in being able to protect yourself either nowadays! x

Jo Beaufoix said...

Ack your box ate my comment. How rude. This is a brief version. I am also 'clumsy' and being labelled so did not help. To get Max interested in a sport that will help him to feel confident, balanced and in control of his actions and limbs etc sounds good to me. Looking forward to hearing what you decide.

PippaD said...

Hello! I left an award for you over at mine!

DJ Mercmania said...

Hey man,

I just wanted to commend you on what you've done with the blog, it looks terrific. Also, best wishes to your son Max who seems like he's really growing up. Being a 19 year old male I know that your son has a great father because you are doing the same things that my father did for me.

I'm new to the blogging community and I just started a blog about a teenager's perspective on parenting; hopefully it will be something refreshing and something that parents like yourself can appreciate...instead of always taking advice from Oprah or a 65 year old phychologist.

Check it out if you have a chance, I'd love to hear what you think about the idea!


Keep on Rockin

rosiescribble said...

They are wearing helmets! When on earth did that happen?? They don't wear them for gymnastics as well these days do they? Clearly I am out of touch.

Single Parent Dad said...

Shabby Chick - I'll keep you posted.

Potty Mummy - Need to check out all the different forms.

Violet Posy - Sounds perfect then. Cool.

SciFi Dad - Note duly taken.

Townygirl - Thanks.

Jo B - Then hear you shall.

PippaD - Thank you.

DJ Mercmania - Thank you, and good luck.

Rosie - Probably just before they started ;-)

Frugal Dad said...

Karate can be a lot of fun for a kid - I certainly enjoyed it a lot when I was younger. Judo was also fantastic. I trained both from a fairly early age and they gave me a lifelong interest in things Eastern. I have to say in a way, I value the Judo I did more - it was always more fun. Also, from a practical self defence perspective, Judo is kind of handy because being in a scuffle and being able to squirm your way out or just throwing someone off you always looks less violent than punching or kicking them so you tend to stay out of the principal's office more. :) But really, anything that teaches some awareness of the body and some co-ordination (cleverly disguised as games for kids) is fantastic for little ones.

chrisandharvey said...

H started Taekwon Do when he was 3 - and it took 6 months of me sitting with him for him to join in. But, the day he did join in (with full TKD suit) he passed his first mini-grading.

Up until he started, he was shy and not confident (mind you, he was 3!) but I know that the discipline, the structure of the 30 min lesson and the communication skill the teacher had really developed him and pulled him out of his shell, just in time for him to start school.

He moved on and up from 'Little Leaders' into the junior class, and started on his real belts. TKD was great for balance, fitness, discipline - and also consistency.

All during the 6 months when Jo lost her speech and movement, I kept up with his twice a week lessons - getting help from the NHS with carers for when I wasn't there with her.

He's moved on now - had enough of the learning of patterns (shame, great for his other learning IMO) - but I made sure it was replaced.

He's now joined the cubs, and proudly told me last week that 'I want to go on cub camp. But I need to be inserted first.' I truly LOL'd

Post a Comment