Thursday, 10 September 2009

Top Ten Movie Characters (10 down to 6 actually)

My blog boyfriend Dan, over at All That Comes With It tagged me a while back to complete a meme. I am not usually a huge fan of being told what to do memes, but even as I read this one, I was hoping he might tag me.

Thinking about my top ten movie characters is not something I have ever done, but the prospect of putting my favourites in order, and possibly prompting me to re-watch some films I have enjoyed before, was one I was hoping for.

I discussed it with Dan when we he was kind enough to host us over the holidays, and I think I was trying to get a too definitive list, instead, I should just list ten in a rough order as my mood dictates, not concerning myself with ones I may have missed, so, that is what I have done, and are about to present.

Ten through to six today.

*And I should warn you of adult language*


Axel Foley played by Eddie Murphy in Beverley Hills Cop (x several)

Disturbing the peace? I got thrown out of a window! What's the fuckin' charge for getting pushed out of a moving car, huh? Jaywalking?

I love Axel, or Acmel as the gay art/fancy weapon dealer calls him. Eddie Murphy's laugh is awesome, but the film is also serious in parts, with his friend being killed and he doing all he can to apprehend the killers. Axel seems like he is only serious when he needs to be, but is always serious when he needs to be. Plus there are some funnies, especially his rants about sound-seeking-projectors, and his Rolling Stone magazine, Michael Jackson, hotel reception fallout.


Barry played by Jack Black in High Fidelity

Rob, I'm telling you this for your own good, that's the worst fuckin' sweater I've ever seen, that's a Cosby sweater.

This, I believe, is one of, if not, the first film I read the book upon it was based before I saw the film. I still enjoyed the book more, as I pretty much always do, but this is a real feel-good film. Barry is an awesome character, not giving a shit about much, being totally opinionated upon his taste in music, which is obviously the only thing of real importance to him. And he rips in to the other characters like he's there worst enemy, not friends. I like Barry. Plus he comes up trumps in the end.


Bruce Wayne / Batman played by Christian Bale in Batman Begins & The Dark Knight)

The first time I stole so that I wouldn't starve, yes. I lost many assumptions about the simple nature of right and wrong. And when I travelled, I learned the fear before a crime and the thrill of success. But I never became one of them.

The relaunch of the Batman films as grittier affairs has been well received by me. And the first reincarnation was well received by my late wife too. Batman Begins was the last film we saw at the cinema together, and I am glad we both loved it. Bale gives Batman a real edge, as Bruce he even has two sides, the toss pot playboy with wilful ill regard to anyone and anything, but also the caring, I want to love and be loved side. And his Batman is very, well, believable for me.


Seth played by Jonah Hill in Superbad

You know when you hear girls say 'Ah man, I was so shit-faced last night, I shouldn't have fucked that guy?' We could be that mistake!

Seth is a dude, a fat dude. Very funny, totally base, without fear of using the wrong words – in his friends' company, and the teacher's in one scene. His ridiculous vulgarity is what appeals to the Seth inside me. The football scene where he wanders onto the field interrupting play, to discuss, amongst other things, but mostly 'pounding vaage', has me reaching for my inhaler. This is a funny film, and Seth, closely followed by Evan and McLovin, is a real star.


Jules Winnfield played by Samuel L Jackson in Pulp Fiction

Does he look like a bitch?

Which is exactly what I want to say to people when they assume my boy is a girl, simply due to the fact that he has long hair, rather than a crew cut. I am sure I could not deliver it the same way as Mr Jackson, but it would be fun saying it. I remember going to see this film at the cinema repeatedly, partly because I perceived it as cool, partly as I had a friend who worked at the cinema, and mostly because I had never watched a film presented via the jumbled story, back-to-front format. When I caught it on terrestrial television over the weekend, it still took me a while to get around how Travolta walks out of that restaurant, after seeing him shot by Bruce Willis earlier in the film. Jackson's biblical reading to folks he is about to assassinate is awesome, and I am sure etched on to many a students brain of my era.

My top five will follow in a very near future post, if you're interested of course.