Wednesday, 4 November 2009

Signing the homework diary

Mine was a pain in the backside throughout my schooling. I was generally pretty good, only ever doing the minimum, but it would be rare that I would rebel to the extent of not completing work set for outside school at all.

But getting it signed, was just a robotic act I forgot to get round to. We were so busy with other stuff as a family, that it was never on my mind, that is until they asked for them first thing Monday morning.

I find the fact that my 4 year-old son has a homework diary a tad ridiculous.

I am not an exponent of bringing school work home. I am happy to be involved in what he has learnt at school, and reaffirm it should the right opportunities arise, but I fear that regular homework, and thus me moaning about getting it done, will have a negative effect on his education overall.

At this age the diary was billed as more of a record keeper, and also a way for parent and school staff to communicate with each other, writing messages in it for non-urgent issues.

It transpires it will usually detail the book currently in his bag, and have comments from his teacher, or classroom assistants about his phonics.

As parents we are free to detail what we do too, and also add comments, or highlight any issues we may have.

I know a lot of the parents have used stickers, and different coloured pens as ‘well done’ messages for their children.

However, instead, I have opted for sarcasm.

My recent entries;

‘Goldilocks – Max read the story, as it is traditionally told. Perhaps the nicest breaking and entering tale of all time.’

‘Get the fruit – Max read this tale, albeit without the same enthusiasm as when reading the others. Inept monkeys not really floating his boat.’

In reply to; Max confident with s, a, t, p, i, n, m, g, o, c, k, e, r, b. If you could go over his other sounds that would be great.

‘As would peace in the Middle East, but not entirely sure I am qualified to help out with that either’.

Ok, the last one did not go in, but sarcasm is the only way I can deal with quips like that. That, or ignoring them altogether.

I do give Max great encouragement and praise when he is doing schoolwork, as I like to think I do when he demonstrates any positive behaviour, but it would feel a tad odd to me to write ‘well done’ in his diary.

Whereas glib, sarky sentences, ARE my comfort zone.