Wednesday, 18 November 2009

Who do you think you are talking to?

I joked earlier this week with a fellow blogger that I am not in fact, who I say I am.

However, Bigamist Camel Dad just did not have the same ring to it.

And I could so be a camel, always complaining of a bad back and often caught typing tripe that could easily have been hammered out with hooves.

I was not actually making a serious revelation, more trying to be funny (or should I just stop that at ‘trying’?).

But it has crossed my mind that the words on these pages need not be a reflection of reality, and indeed, my identity, or persona ‘could’ be entirely different to the one, ‘I’ am portraying.

And just as my spiel could be a huge web of nonsense, so it could anywhere else on the interweb.

For instance, it is well known that Dan Hughes is actually the semi-waxed Abominable Snowman.

Obviously there is little sinister in all of this, it is great that a camel addicted to marriage and a hypothetical creature have managed to fool a few.

Yet(i), what else is out there?

My son is not of an age to be using a computer regularly, apart from navigating the Lego website and playing the odd game, but I read a report this morning about the concerns of children using social networking sites, ‘unprotected’.

The BBC report is, I believe, based on an interview with someone from the Child Exploitation and Online Protection Centre talking about networking sites, such as Facebook and Myspace, not adopting their help button, when there was ‘no legitimate’ reason for not doing so.

I have been through the article twice, and also listened to the excerpt from The Today Programme within it, and I am still confused.

To me - the simpleton - this button provides a quick and simply way for someone to report another for suspect behaviour. Which is great, but ultimately does not ‘protect’ anyone.

There seems to be an argument that if the button is there it will put off the perverts, bullies and stalkers. Likened to how a burglar alarm would deter a would-be burglar.

I still do not get it.

The internet is a dangerous place, and while I mildly see the benefit of being able to report dodgy activity easily, isn’t this just an admin thing? When the realities of keeping safe while browsing are down to the individual, and creating environments that are perceived to be ‘safe’ is actually going to make the problem worse?

Share/Save/Bookmark