Monday, 4 January 2010

A little dragon gives me the ball ache

My son’s second school term has started, and with it, the dawn of a new age.

The age of; ferrying-child-to-and-from-various-clubs-and-activities.

As he hit five over the holidays, my boy has now become eligible for any number of activities and sports clubs, not that he really noticed.

I, however, had duly noted this subtle yet huge change in our lives, and had started to think about the type of things I would like him to do, what I think he would enjoy and what would be of benefit to him.

The schedule has also been considered, and my idea being to keep any regular activity to weekdays, as to not eat into our, normally enjoyable, ad hoc weekends. Friday nights were also discounted on a similar high-likelihood-of-clashing-with-stuff basis, as well as being the night at which he is exhausted after a week at school.

So that basically left Monday through Thursday for any chosen, and agreed, pursuits.

Swimming lessons were the first thing to be identified. Max is very confident in the water, and due to a combination of regular visits to the baths with me, and perhaps more so, with his granddad, he is very nearly swimming without any qualified tutelage.

They start later this week.

But another of my ideas has already come to fruition, with not exactly anticipated results.

Max’s balance is an issue, as is his perceived clumsiness, so I have been thinking about activities that could assist with these. Plus there is his boisterous nature to consider.

These are all issues long on my dwelling agenda.

And the conclusion I came to was martial arts, perhaps making my son into a karate kid would help with all these issues.

I have actually chosen, and convinced him, to try kick boxing. It is convenient, a couple of his friends go and the instructor comes highly recommended.

So my son has become a 'little dragon'.

I very much enjoyed watching him experience his first proper extra-curricular club session. He listened intently, and acted exactly as the instructor instructed. Seemed to focus on what he was saying, and did not get carried away, or go over the top with his punching or kicking.

As I had hoped it seemed very much about balance, and technique. There were children there ignoring these facts, and while their brutish nature bore some fruit, it was those that were more patient and controlled that seemed to do more learning, and ultimately left the session better for it.

A lesson in the waiting.

But a lesson I learnt today, was that height ‘advantage’, can be a distinct disadvantage, when it comes to tackling a 5 year-old with new found fighting techniques. See, due to our height difference, my ‘special place’ is very much within his striking zone, and strike he sure did.

When we go back next week, I am going to check to see if they do lessons for us fully grown folk, I am probably going to need them.

Share/Save/Bookmark