Wednesday, 10 February 2010

Smile, you're on holiday

The end of this week brings the start of the first of 2010’s school holidays.

I was reminded of this fact today, during a parents’ assembly, when a very gleeful head teacher announced how much we could all enjoy some well earned rest next week.



‘a day on which one is exempt from work; specifically : a day marked by a general suspension of work in commemoration of an event’.

I suppose that could be applied to my son, who will not have to contend with the rigours of reception class for five days, instead, he will trade them for days of adventures with his dad and various third parties.

*insert blog post mood swing*

I love the ‘holidays’, I really do. I so very much miss the pre-school days, when entertainment of my son, and subsequently myself, was the only real thing of importance on the agenda.

Breaks in the education train’s tracks offer a temporary return to days akin to those, albeit tempered with many more people being in a similar position, and thus many of the activities that once used to be a pleasure in term time, are actually the opposite during school holidays.

Planning for next week has been almost organic, there is no spreadsheet (pick yourself back off the ground Tara), it is only a relative short period, so simple notes on our calendar, and in my grey matter will suffice this time, hopefully.

I have had to deal with one terribly difficult family, insulting me by email, and in public, but even their eventual company has to be better than the alternative, which is my own.

But does this feel like it is going to be a holiday?

Not really, it is graft, graft that admittedly, will yield immense rewards.

After which I will need, yes, you have guessed it.

A holiday.



In another guise, I have been having a little rant about children and their introduction to reading, would love to read of your opinions and experiences, if you have the time, and inclination of course. Link to my thoughts on encouraging young readers.

Share/Save/Bookmark