Thursday, 29 April 2010

What should a woman look like?


Gary and Wyatt formulated their idea pretty smartish, and I struggle to argue with their creation, I struggle to argue with any woman, as we all know that they are always right.

My appreciation of the female form is something I am always happy to discuss, elaborating as allowed. I make no secret of the fact that I appreciate perving gazing upon the wonder that is the female form.

I have my various penchants, various celebrity loves and loathes, all of which are subject to vast change, at the mere drop of a hat, hitch of a hemline or by an episode of Heroes.

But I don't really want to write about my particular whims, wants and gratifications, and part of me can't believe what I am going to type about.

Yet, I have a growing awareness that as consumers, and as our children as consumers, we are exposing, and exposing our offspring, to a consistent, and somewhat ridiculous, body image.

It is all around us, music television is probably the biggest culprit, but I've seen things in cartoons, and even in Christmas shows for children, things that both aroused and concerned.

Music television, like I've said previously, has long been the default channel on our television set, when we want noise, but want to continue to enjoy other things, they are enhanced with random music in our lives. I also, call me weird, like to have the TV on, as it means we would always get critical newsflashes, like if a nuclear warhead was deployed, or if someone called someone else a bigot behind their back.

However, I am often caught wide-eyed and slack-jawed at various music videos, and my son is very familiar with the phrase; 'daddy will be back with you in 3 minutes son'. He also knows who Britney Spears is, and has on several occasions suggested that the signed photograph of her I have in my bedroom is inappropriate.

Some of the music videos, that are played any time, day or night, are absolute filth. The mainstream female singers virtually always scantily clad, and male vocalists seem bereft if their videos do not include provocative female dancers.

What. Would. They. Point. At?

Promoting a healthy body image is a positive, but carries the negative that people think they need to look like that, and as men, boys even, are we influenced to think what is beautiful?

I really do heart Britney Spears, I heart her very arsehole, it is a thing of wonder. And I was delighted to recently read a story, even if it isn't true, about how useful she is making it.

The story read that Ms Spears allowed, or even promoted, non-airbrushed pictures to be released, to highlight the pressure that women are under to look good, and the fact that what they are seeing, and trying to replicate, is false in the first instance.

As a young man I used to subscribe to FHM magazine, and only now, or certainly a long time after I stopped buying it, did I realise the images that enticed me to part with cash were doctored.

I should have really smelt a rat earlier, given the differennce in images between that and my Readers Wives subscription.

It would be a lie if I said the 'enhanced' images, of a bruise free and polished Britney are not pleasing to my eye, because they are. But I am warmed, that side-by-side, it is the unaltered images that would win a Pepsi challenge, especially the rear view shot, her actual arse is infinitely more slapable.

Reality trumps fantasy kids, and beauty, real beauty, comes from more than just a smooth thigh.

Attraction, sustained attraction, comes from much more than what someone looks like in a picture.

It certainly does for me, and I hope it will for my boy.

Share/Save/Bookmark