Thursday, 27 January 2011

Honey, I'm home

This week I made a relatively rare foray into our nation's wonderful capital.

I do enjoy London, but the best part is always coming home.

My flying visit was brought about by an invitation from The Football League. I was asked to join a judging panel for one of their upcoming Football League Awards.

Football, and League Football, is something I have been interested in for the last twenty years. So a chance to visit Football League HQ, and see what clubs up and down the country are doing, that may earn them the honour of Family Club Of The Year, was one I jumped at, on at least jumped on a train for.

It was a very smooth day, dropping my son at school, spending a very good day in London, making all my connections back, and arriving home just in time to put my lad to bed.

He was hiding when I returned, he'd primed his grandparents to tell me he'd got tired and already gone to bed.

So I did the best faux panic I could muster at finding an empty bed, to encourage his appearance.

His little face popped out from behind a curtain, and soon afterwards he was giving me a huge hug.


“How was your day daddy?”

Sometimes he can be so considerate. To the point, that while it feels lovely for him to say such things, I turn them back on him.

I really don't want my son to worry about me, and have said many times 'that's not your job dude.'

It's probably unrealistic of me not to expect him to be interested in what I am doing, and not to care a thought for my well being.

Perhaps it's common for single parents that children automatically fill part of the role typically filled by a partner? Or maybe it isn't limited or any more prevalent in children when a parent is missing.

Would be interested to hear what the case is in your house.

In the long run I think it is a huge positive that he gives a shit. And expresses himself genuinely and actual cares for the person he lives with. I hope that forms part of his future.

With our relationship sometimes being so intense, my son becoming insular as a result, is a concern at the other end of the scale.

Suppose it is all about balance, and not really being able to know, or influence, his characteristics and capabilities.

He is who he is.

And I, for one, think he's ace.