Friday, 15 June 2012

What will my son bring home for Father's Day?

Last year my boy bought home this:


I was delighted.

Not because he’d fashioned something for me for Father’s Day, but because he’d clearly put a decent amount of thought in to what he had made.

I started playing cricket again last summer, and knowing that, my little treasure decided to make a cricket ball themed photograph holder.  Topping it off with a picture of himself playing the great game, and a lovely hand-written note with different sporting balls stuck to it.

The cricket ball base even had a seam on it.  It’s all in the detail.

As we approach Father’s Day again it’s still on my desk.  Not confined to his schoolwork archive like most of his other stuff.

It would be wrong of me to expect something to ‘surpass’ his efforts last year for Father’s Day.  I’d honestly not be bothered if he hasn’t made me anything.

I love being his dad, and he clearly loves being my boy.

We tell – and show - each other all the time.

Father’s Day is an excuse for many to make a yearly reminder of how much they appreciate their fathers.

I don’t think we need it.

Fatherhood is to be celebrated and enjoyed, but not on any one day as far as I am concerned.

I think my family and friends get a bit tired of my reluctance to join in on designated days.  Buying cards and what not.  But, at the same time, they’d know that if I did anything like that it would really be an empty gesture.

I hope they realise that they are appreciated, and much loved, even if I’ve not been to Clintons on the day I was supposed to.

Share/Save/Bookmark