Thursday, 31 January 2013

Lego for girls

Do girls even like Lego?

Not according to Hamley’s gender divided online toy catalogue.

My good friend, and Lego fanatic, Dan ‘Cabbage’ Hughes pointed out to me, and his corner of the world, that Lego has been designated a boy's toy by the UK’s most historic and famous toy store.

I may be being a bit dramatic here (no I can’t be, I’m not a woman. How’s that for sarcastic sexist irony? Boom) but fewer Lego items appear within the girls’ section than feature for the boys’.  And I’m guessing, like all journalists (even more sarcasm and irony, how much is a subscription to Single Parent Dad again?), that Lego Friends doesn’t appear as suitable for boys.

Which it totally should.

My sister, all 30-odd years of her, is a big fan of Lego.  She was as excited as my son was upon our first visit to Legoland, and still regularly has building sessions, with HER OWN LEGO, with Max and I.

Check out the plastic fruits of ‘our’ last session at her place.


My girlfriend was a little ignorant to the wonders of the small Danish brick prior to being part of our lives.

However after enjoying a trip with us to Legoland, and a visit to its huge store, she’s also become a little fond of it.

There was still a little reluctance to join in at home with our Lego building, often citing our Lego building genius as being a little intimidating, but then, we got this.


Lego Creationary.

It’s like charades or Pictionary with Lego.  You get a card with something to represent in Lego from, and the other players have to guess what it is you are building.

Sounds hard, but is surprisingly easy and forces you to tap into your creative juices.

I wonder how they came up with the name?

Anyway, our collective Lego building expertise has yet to defeat this new female Lego colossus.  We’ve managed to tie a few times, but as yet (two months and umpteen games counting) there isn’t a defeat in my girlfriend’s column.

Damn right we keep scores in this house.

Share/Save/Bookmark

Blog Widget by LinkWithin