Tuesday, 17 February 2015

I Love My Nephew (and Jonny's Sister)

It was my nephew's Christening at the weekend.

He's approaching his first birthday, and it was about time that his arrival was something those that love him should get together and celebrate.

His parents did a marvellous job of arranging a Christening that one guest described as the Christening if Carlsberg did Christenings.

Enough said.

Even if I has my doubts when I was wrestling with a load of tangled balloons minutes before we should all have been in Church.

I'm in there somewhere

My nephew, Bertie, was the real star.

It's unbelievable how you seem to find new love for a new person, and there was a lot of love for him on Sunday, as I'm sure there will be forever.

I find it overwhelming at times how much I love Bertie, which is something I have in common with both my son Max, and my wife, Helen.

We couldn't love him any more.

The last 10 months or so have been an absolute treasure to have been part of. 

We love looking after Bertie.

His overnight stays here have been a mixture of tears, laughs, nappies and discovery (Probably shouldn't have coupled nappies with discovery).

However his 'sleeps' here have all been exhaustively brilliant.

I'm in awe of the way my sister has taken to parenthood.  She's a brilliant mum, and his dad is doing top job too.  Bertie really is one very lucky boy.

What do you get for the boy who you love so much it aches?

Whilst time and attention should always win out, there are times when material things can be very appropriate.

Times like Christenings.

I remembered back to what I've bought my own son, Max, for significant events in the past.  And also what I've bought another godson of mine.

It's so difficult to find something that isn't too cumbersome, truly is a gift in the sense as you wouldn't necessary buy yourself, and that will last a good length of time to perhaps become a treasured possession.

And my tip for such a present is Jonny's Sister.  I love Jonny's Sister.  Amongst other things, they make letter cushions to an unparalleled quality, which is important when you are looking for a gift that will stand the test of time.

My boy's 'M' is still proudly on display despite nearly being ten years old, and I hope Bertie's 'B' also can be treasured for many years to come too.